The Recording Academy this week announced submission deadlines and dates for the 61st Annual Grammy Awards.
The announcement was made following the Recording Academy’s increase on the number of nominees in four main categories ahead of the awards scheduled to take place at the Staple Centre in Los Angeles on 10 February 2019.
Submissions are currently underway and will close on 22 August followed by nominees’ announcement on 5 December this year.
“We are delighted to host the world’s premier music event back in our hometown and look forward to celebrating the remarkable musical contributions made by songwriters, producers, engineers, mixers, and recording artists,” Recording Academy president Neil Portnow said.
The Grammys week will take place from 6 to 9 February 2019 ahead of the awards ceremony.
“As always, Grammy season will kick off with a series of events that showcase various genres of music, educational programs, and our charitable initiatives,” he said. “We look forward to working with our Los Angeles partners to produce some remarkable and unforgettable events.”
African artists who have previously bagged Grammys include the accapella group Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Angélique Kidjo, Youssou Ndour and Ali Farka Touré among others.
Key dates and deadlines for the 61st Grammy Awards process and Grammy Week events are as follows:
- Online entry process opened (2 July 2018)
- Online entry process closes (22 August 2018)
- First round of voting opens (17 October 2018)
- First round of voting closes (31 October 2018)
- Nominees announcement for 61st annual Grammy Awards (5 December 2018)
- Final round of voting opens (13 December 2018)
- Final round of voting closes (9 January 2019)
- Producers & engineers wing Grammy Week celebration (6 February 2019)
- Music educator award presentation. Grammys In The Schools Live (7 February 2019)
- Entertainment Law Initiative Event & Scholarship Presentation: MusiCares Person of the Year (8 February 2019)
- Grammys Nominees Reception: Clive Davis’ and the Recording Academy’s Pre-Grammys Gala (9 February 2019)
- Grammys Awards Premiere Ceremony (10 February 2019)